Friday, May 7, 2010

Healthy eyes

I cannot remember what it is like to view the world without the aid of visual devices...
At age 13 my brain began interpreting the blackboard at school in an increasingly frustrating blur...off to the optician...I wish I had a photo of that first pair of "corrective glasses"....they cost 12 pounds sterling and were the cheapest from the NHS selection. I tried not to wear them ...(don't all kids feel subconsciously "4 eyes" those first years?).. then they broke in two!!.. and yes,my Dad fixed the bridge with tape...I wore them that way for what seemed a very long time! My second pair were more my choice and a gold coloured metal frame..I was so excited!! Over the years eyeglass styles have changed in fashion and design...Contacts were introduced...I have a not bad stigmatism but it seems very hard to get the optimum lens prescription to correct them...
At 17, I had a retinal haemorrhage;3 months after the event I saw an eye specialist..Mom and I traveled on the bus to Maidstone (Kent,England) one of the exams was stating where the red dot was....in relation to a red line....apparently the red dot was never where it should have been..according to my brain! The Doctor was being called for an emergency consultation and stitching around an eye... he did not want to leave.."Fascinating" he kept saying..
Roll on a few years.. I tried contacts...I have found that my vision has to be quite unblurred....or I get cranky..contacts did not work.....
Lasik?.. too expensive and would I be left with less vision?

New advances... in 2008 it was time for check up.. and wow.... a picture of inside my eyes were taken... oops!!... see that disc area around the optical nerve entry?? yes...well, it looks bigger than it should be.. but this might be "normal" for you...
Off to the specialist I went.. A very nice Dr, staff and practice..I now go there for all my visual medical needs. Dr Jim Conahan....of United Eye Centers.
to cut two years down.. this summer I will probably start treatment for glaucoma as my pressures are increasing. and I picked up my first progressive lenses...hey, I can see the lines...no more blur around the edges...well..it's another story when my eyes are tired!! .. woohoo!! and I wear them all the time....lol!!

2 comments:

WATTLE GIRL said...

Hi Sally, Some really sad news, I wasnt aware until yesterday how close you were with Jenny ANd Derek Jones. Well Derek had cancer, non Hodgkins,lymphoma ands its in his bones. He is starting Chemo today. 8 hours he is in hospital. Took Drs a while to find it. Jenny is on face book and she asked me to help her start a blog....funny as I cant remember or know how I did mine, Anyway Jenny is in my friends list on face book so have a look , if you cant find her I will help all I can ok , Mellessa is also on there Mel Watt. yes married woman now. in Adelaide. Jenni

wenwin said...

wow, i had no idea your eyes were in such a state.
glad you have found a doctor that you can trust!